We’ve had a very busy and exciting 18 months settling into the local community but are now near the end of our funding period. Here’s a summary of what we’ve been up to over the past year so far:
- 179 people have received cycle training
- 8 people with disabilities have received ongoing specialist training with funding from Notts West CCG Lifestyle Fund
- 28 people attended our ‘cycling around tram tracks’ sessions
- 180 people enjoyed group rides, many on a weekly basis
- 141 completed cycle maintenance courses
- 195 bikes serviced by Dr Bike
- 784 enjoyed our fun bikes
- 782 people pedalled to make their own smoothie
- A group of young people have just started a BMX/Mountain bike skills course.
- 122 people attended walks, including a mindful walk, tree identification, and a ‘wild food walk’
- We’ve paid regular visits to Heanor and Beeston Job Centre Plus offices and attended 4 Job fairs and given 350 people travel advice
- Handed out free one-month public transport passes and 5 new bikes to over 100 people with new jobs or apprenticeships
- We’ve attended 61 events and spoken to around 3540 people at these events
We’d like to thank you for your continued support and hope that our services have benefited some of your service users and people that you know.
Our current funding from the Nottingham Area’s Local Sustainable Transport Fund, as planned, ends on 31st March 2015 and we are working on further funding bids. Unfortunately, even if they are successful this means that our services will be affected in Broxtowe Borough after 31st March. Here’s a summary below:
From 1st April 2015
Cycle Training and Rides
The great news is that cycle centres in Beeston and Eastwood will continue to offer free training and some leisure rides until at least October 2015. There will still be free bikes available to borrow, Dr Bike sessions and some cycle maintenance courses available until that time. Please call Ridewise on 0115 955 2288 for further information or an update.
Support with bus tickets and bikes for unemployed people who gain a new job
The last day that we can issue public transport tickets or a free cycle is 30th March 2015 for people entering work or training. For free cycles for people gaining jobs, call Wheels to Work on 01623 727620 or see www.wheelstowork.org
Also available is the Job Seekers Citycard given people looking for employment access to discounted bus, tram, train and cycle travel. The Job Seekers Citycard scheme has been extended for a further 5 months from March 2015 and the details can be found here http://www.citycardnottingham.co.uk/get-a-citycard/jobseekerscitycard.html
We won’t be organising any walks ourselves but see Broxtowe Ramblers site www.broxtoweramblers.co.uk They’re busy planning a Spring /Summer programme of local walks.
Broxtowe Walk & Talk also have a great local programme www.broxtowe.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4691
Travel Information, advice and local maps
See our website www.travelright.org.uk/broxtowe which has a variety of journey planner links and maps.
We are busy with the finishing touches on a Broxtowe Borough Cycle Map that will be available imminently. Please call 0115 955 2288 for a free copy. This map is based on the Nottingham City Cycle map design and they are also available free of charge.
We hope that some of our services will be reinstated but await the outcome of funding bids. It’s likely that future work would focus more around keeping healthy and supporting job seekers and learners. So we predict that if we secure further funding, we will not be able to continue attending as many events as we have been doing over the past year.
For any further information on these and any other services please call Ridewise on 0115 955 2288
Once again, thank you for your support.
The TravelRight Broxtowe Team